fun fun fun fun fun fun fun funeral.

https://soundcloud.com/sariya-iman-okoye

new york (from the fifty states collection)

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t I always right
turn, right turn, right turn, and right turn
Around till you’re back at the same place;
Put my ashes in a vase or an urn
Give me a nickel for every dollar not earned
it but wasn’t ready and it was so f-ing
Cold it burned
it left a scar just like New York
And my scars will never truly be gone
Like, crack heads beggin’ for change 
On
The subway 
And I’m not talking
About where Jared lost weight
of NYC sitting heavy on my shoulder blades
Couldn’t cut through this pain 
feeling like the Greek God Atlas with the world
on his shoulders; I hope neither one of us 
Shrug
and try to smile 
when they ask if I’m okay
Okay, okay I am too sensitive to live
In the Empire State
And I found that out a bit too late
nights and I’m roaming the streets for a fix
I wake up and go to bed with this syringe
holds devil juice and like count to ten
Then I’m an addict-
Skeletons in my closet and ghosts in the attic
And a pink slip and a sign saying I’m evicted
Feeling helpless- the sky used to be the limit
But temptation is the only thing I can’t resist-
Mom look at your kid
What happened? 
They notice every time I smile so it 
Must not be often
It’s hard with no way to soften it
I try to remember the NY motto written in Latin:
‘Excelsior’ which means ‘ever upward’
We travel
back home, flying through time zones
And it hurts deep in my bones
the snow isn’t what makes me cold-
If it can be bought it can be sold
Out 
Show
Famous people dining fancy
While the poor go hungry-
Black on black crime; people in Rikers
Doing time
is of the essence- people murder for capital
And New York’s capital is Albany-
Look in the mirror and tell me what you see
the beauty 
staring back at me 
Through the layers of ugly
city
Rats so dirty haunt me while waiting for the G train
And nobody can complain-
These tears I can’t contain
Everybody’s got a hustle, just trying to maintain
It’s a whole lot of pain yet they say
It’s just a flesh wound but I see scars on their faces
And Band-Aids don’t cover the wounds
Get salted and dripped on with lemon juice 
What kind of life would you like, you choose
me to get to Heaven please
I’m on my knees
Are bruised from praying
For Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, the Bronx,
Long Island
Iced tea dripping sweat in the heat
And God bless the immigrants that came
Through Ellis Island
No man or woman is
free until they break the mental chains
On their necks worth thousands
But they sleep in the Projects;
Roommates with roaches and mice
Time to put the cigars on ice
is just frozen water
From the Atlantic and if you ignore
The tragic aspects
There is something romantic 
About the big apple
just has a worm in it sometimes
So take a bite of life
And chew before you swallow
The facts: over 183 languages are represented
In the city full of 16 million eyes
see
My birthday is the 27th of January and
New York State is the 27th most extensive, 
Third most populous and 7th most densely
Populated of all the states in the US of A
B, C, D, E, and F poverty-
Jay Z, Nicki, Biggie, Alicia Keys
Are a few of the lucky 
number 13
And don’t let me bring you down
I mean, follow your dreams
Just remember to sleep
Tight
Don’t let the bed bugs bite
And I hope your dreams are as sweet

As your life 

No comments: